Saturday, January 24, 2009

Notes from the Ribbon Reef

Dear Labyrinthians,

I'm almost two weeks into my navigation of the Ribbon Reef Labyrinth. I have reached the second center. It is indeed paradisiacal, but this is truly terra incognita. Today marks my third day wandering the second center. A storm threatens, which will delay me for perhaps another week.  

I am trying not to lose hope and sanity. All across the coastline, there appears to be no entrance back into the reef corridors. The labyrinthecture is maniacal; no congression points, no regression points in sight.

My oxygen supply is sufficient, but my second center navigation has to be parsimonious and well-planned, else I risk wasting too much of my precious tanks. The Atlantic sun has singed my skin, which feels indelibly brackish despite my wetsuit. My provisions are perilously low, and I have been forced to forage flora and fauna that appear comestible and innocuous. (A word to the wise: Never navigate without Floyd Brendelmen's Field Guide to Labyrinth Foraging). Sharks, I think blacktip reef sharks, are patrolling what seems to be one of the more promising congression points. The dance of the light on the water is beautiful, mesmerizing, but the refraction titanically complicates the detection of third doors. 

I've taken a photo for your viewing and for the archives. Enjoy, but keep me in your thoughts. This will be one memorable navigation.

[Message sent via Blackberry_//.>Sent 9:26PM_._]

1 comment:

Alex said...

Bon navigation, John! Nice to hear from you! I've no doubt that you'll enjoy the splendid egression. We'll expect to see more pics upon your safe return!